RUMC is committed to changing lives through caring acts within our congregation. It takes members of all ages working together to care for needs within our church family and in the places Christ calls us beyond our church.
Aging Gracefully University
March 24 @ 6 p.m. Dodson Youth CenterPssst…it doesn’t just happen! Whether your parents are over 50, or you're there yourself, there is much to be gained by being proactive in best care practices. Join us for an evening of 20-minute sessions with respected professionals in the field.
How it Works
Registration begins at 6 p.m. with light refreshments. An introductory session will be led by Beth Cayce of CaraVita Home Care in D143 at 6:30 p.m.
You may choose up to three 20-minute sessions to attend. See below for complete session info and registration. Advanced registration is suggested to secure your seat in the desired classes.For questions or info, contact Mary Stokes, 770.261.1741
101. Legal ChecklistJennifer Ghorley, JD of Hurley Elder Care Law will guide us. Life transitions are normal. Speaking with professionals about Power of Attorney (POA), Advanced Directive for Health Care, Wills and Trusts can give you piece of mind. REGISTER HERE
201. Residence Options and Long-term Care201. Everything seemed to be clicking along fine, and then the unforeseen happens, a fall, a surgery, or a stroke. Now the hospital says you have 48 hours to make some decisions. Know your options. Join Sarah Reese with Assisted Living Locators and Eric Burkhard with Burkard Insurance, LLC to learn options in advance. REGISTER HERE
301. Medicare Made SimpleBonnie Dobbs of Medicare and other Red Tape, LLC is the AJC’s Medicare insurance expert for their entire “Aging in Atlanta” Series. She has an unmatched talent to put this complicated process into understandable terms. Learn how to avoid penalties and choose the best plan for your needs. This workshop is a must if you are turning 65, over 65 and getting ready to retire, on Medicare and moving, or a caregiver for your loved one. REGISTER HERE
401. Making Your Money LastJohnathan Clark of Edward Jones will discuss ways to help you work toward fulfilling your retirement expectations. We’ll focus on how to provide for your income needs, including your retirement income for the future. We’ll also explore how to address key concerns such as inflation, health care expenses, market volatility and unexpected events. REGISTER HERE
501. Simple Tools for Lifelong ComfortAgeless Grace is a cutting-edge brain fitness program based on neuroplasticity that activates all 5 functions of the brain - analytical, strategic, kinesthetic learning, memory/recall, creativity and imagination - and simultaneously addresses all 21 physical skills needed for lifelong optimal function. Join Sandy Bramlett of Ageless Grace, as she shares 21 simple exercise tools based on everyday movements that focus on the healthy longevity of the body and mind. REGISTER HERE
601. Hospice: Dispelling the MythDru Forster of Homestead Hospice will share the many benefits of Hospice Care before end-of-life circumstances. What can your family expect? Will Medicare cover this? What if your loved one resides in an assisted living community? How will I know when it’s time to pursue help? Let us help to answer your questions and ease your mind. REGISTER HERE
701. Tending the SoulMary Stokes, RUMC Care Coordinator, new empty-nester, and one who embraces senior discounts, will offer some steps and practices to open our hearts to God's presence. We all long to be able to say, "It is well with my soul." Experience teaches us that a relationship with God can span all that may come. This proves essential in knowing a grace-filled life of hope and peace. REGISTER HERE
Our Care Ministries
- Health Ministries
- Senior Shuttle Ministry
- Prayer Quilt Ministry
- Card Writing Ministry
- Care Ministry Flower Delivery
- Share-a-Dish Ministry
CAMPUS EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM If you have a medical background and would be willing to use your gifts to respond to medical emergencies that may occur during worship services and campus events, please contact Mary Stokes
If you or a loved one resides in a senior living community, our Senior Shuttle Ministry can provide transportation to our 11 a.m. traditional Sunday service. We are also seeking drivers, support riders, and midweek technicians. Contact Mary Stokes 770.261.141
This ministry gives the gift of a quilt to an individual going through serious illness or challenging circumstances. The quilt is placed on the altar during worship; those in worship are invited to offer a prayer while placing hands on the quilt or by tying a knot in the ribbon attached to the quilt. Prayer Quilt Ministry meeting information: When: Third Tuesday of the month (Sept. – June) Time: 7 – 9 p.m. Where:The parlor, Chapel building (B)
Each week volunteers send handwritten notes of care and concern to members who are going through illness, loss of a loved one, or celebrating the birth of a child. RUMC provides all the necessary materials for this ministry. Contact Mary Stokes to learn how to join this team.
Help us deliver flowers on Sundays to those hospitalized or in assisted living facilities. Contact Mary Stokes to volunteer.
Help us share God's love during hard times. Offering meals to those coming home from the hospital or to families with a hospitalized member. Contact Mary Stokes to volunteer.
Daily Devotional Phone Line
Love daily devotionals? You want 'em we got 'em. Call 770.640.2266 to start or end your day with prayer.